Thursday, November 18, 2010

If it was you

I have to say up front that I received a speeding ticket this year and have a bad taste in my mouth over the treatment I received by the justice system of the People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Having unburdened myself, I have a question:
If you were cited for driving 26mph over the speed limit in a 30mph and hitting a child who is now paralyzed, what do you think the punishment would be?

For reference, my punishment for 19mph over a 40mph limit (with no collision or injuries, on a Sunday morning with light traffic) was an initial $70 fine that came to $340 with "assessments" (Kalifornia's way of shafting drivers while increasing revenue without a tax vote).

Well in the case of the paralyzed child it ended with a $185 fine.
A judge decided that the driver was not negligent and did not "contribute to an accident".
Are you surprised?
Maybe even shocked?
Don't be.
He was a cop.
I am always quick to defend the police against the attacks they suffer from the left, but I have always had a burr under my saddle when it comes to their lack of understanding when it comes to the way the justice system grinds common citizens down with abusive, revenue generating fines for traffic infractions that cops almost never have to deal with.
This guy deserves a whole lot more hurt for what he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment