Monday, April 12, 2010

The Dinner Roll


The Dinner Roll...

 
Once upon a time I was invited to the White
House for a private dinner with the President.

 
I am a respected businessman, with a factory
that produces memory chips for computers
and portable electronics.

 
There was some talk that my industry was
being scrutinized by the administration,
but I paid it no mind.  I live in a FREE country.
There's nothing that the government can do
to me if I've broken no laws.  My wealth was
EARNED honestly, and an invitation to dinner
with an American President is an honor.

 
I checked my coat, was greeted by the Chief
of Staff, and joined the President in a yellow
dining room. 
 

We sat across from each other at a table
draped in white linen. The Great Seal was
embossed on the china.  Uniformed staff
served our dinner.

 
The meal was served , and I was startled
when my waiter suddenly reached out,
plucked a dinner roll off my plate and
began nibbling it as he walked back to the
kitchen.. 

 
"Sorry 'bout that," said the President. "Andrew
is very hungry." 
 

"I don't appreciate..." I began, but as I looked
into the calm brown eyes across from me, 
I felt immediately guilty and petty.  It was just
a dinner roll. "Of course," I concluded, and
reached for my glass.
 

Before I could, however, another waiter
reached forward, took the glass away and
swallowed the wine in a single gulp.  
"And his brother, Eric, is very thirsty," said
the President.

 
I didn't say anything.  The President is
testing my compassion, I thought.  I with
held my comments and decided to play
along.  I don't want to seem unkind..

 
My plate was whisked away before I had
tasted a bite.

 
"Eric's children are also quite hungry."


With a lurch, I crashed to the floor.  My chair
had been pulled out from under me.

 
I stood, brushing myself off angrily, and
watched as it was carried from the room.

 
And their grandmother can't stand for long."


I excused myself, smiling outwardly, but
inside feeling like a fool. Obviously I had
been invited to the White House to be
sport for some game.  I reached for my coat,
to find that it had been taken.

 
I turned back to the President.


"Their grandfather doesn't like the cold."


I wanted to shout, "that was my coat!"  But
again, I looked at the placid smiling face of
my host and decided I was being a poor sport.
I spread my hands helplessly and chuckled.

 
Then I felt my hip pocket and realized my
wallet was gone.  I excused myself and
walked to a phone on an elegant side table.

 
I learned shortly that my credit cards had
been maxed out, my bank accounts emptied,
my retirement and equity portfolios had
vanished, and my wife had been thrown
out of our home.

 
Apparently, the waiters and their families
were moving in.  The President hadn't moved
or spoken as I learned all this, but finally I
lowered the phone into its cradle and turned
to face him.

 
"Andrew's whole family has made bad
financial decisions.  They haven't planned
for retirement and they need a house. 
They recently defaulted on a subprime
mortgage.  I told them they could have your
home.  They need it more than you do."

 
My hands were shaking. I felt faint. I stumbled
back to the table and knelt on the floor.

 
The President cheerfully cut his meat, ate
his steak, and drank his wine.  I lowered my
eyes and stared at the small grey circles on
the tablecloth that were water drops.

 
"By the way," he added , "I have just signed
an Executive Order nationalizing your factories.

 
I'm firing you as head of your business.  I'll
be operating the firm now for the benefit of all
mankind.

 
There's a whole bunch of Erics and Andrews
out there and they can't come to you for jobs
groveling like beggars..we need to spread
YOUR wealth around..."

 
I looked up.  The President dropped his
spoon into the empty ramekin which had
been his crème Brule.

 
He drained the last drops of his wine.  As
the table was cleared, he lit a cigarette and
leaned back in his chair.

 
He stared at me. I clung to the edge of the
table as if it were a ledge and I were a man
hanging over an abyss.

 
I thought of the years behind me, of the life
I had lived. The life I had earned with a lifetime
of work, risk and struggle.

 
Why was I punished?  How had I allowed it
to be taken?  What game had I played and
lost? I looked across the table and noticed
with some surprise that there was no game
board between us.

 
What had I done wrong?


As if answering the unspoken thought, the
President suddenly cocked his head, locked
his empty eyes to mine, and bared a million
teeth, chuckling wryly as he folded his hands.

 
"You should have stopped me at the dinner roll,"
he said.


 
WAKE UP AMERICA!

Thanks Terence!

No comments:

Post a Comment